Home Run for Reading!
The Wisconsin Woodchucks have donated free tickets and refreshments for reading! Beginning April 1st, students will be able to log their reading to earn rewards. Prizes include a night free from homework, a ticket to a Wisconsin Woodchuck’s game, lunch with the teacher, and free hot dog and soda at the game!
Here is how the reward will work:
1. Students will record the book they read, how long it took them to read it, and their parent/guardian’s initials.
2. Once they have reached 1st base (100 minutes of reading), they will turn the paper in for homework pass coupon.
3. Then they will receive another paper for 2nd base. They will turn that paper in when they reach 2nd base (another 100 minutes of reading). They will get a coupon for a free soda & hot dog at the Woodchucks’ game.
4. Then they will receive another paper for 3rd base. They will turn that paper in when they reach 3rd base (another 100 minutes of reading). They will get a lunch with the teacher certificate to be redeemed at anytime.
5. Finally, they will receive another paper for home plate. Once the student has read 400 minutes in total (another 100 minutes), they will return that paper to get their free ticket to the game.
We will keep track of students’ progress with a bulletin board in the classroom. Students do not have to participate, but this simply rewards those who are already doing the required 10 minutes of reading each night and prepares them for next year when they will have a monthly goal they need to reach for an end of the year reward. I hope this can be a motivating and fun experience for the whole family! J